Skip to main content
Main Content

ATV Insurance FAQ's

1. Why Should I use a Town & Country Insurance Agent?

An insurance agent may be an ATV owner’s best friend when it comes to buying comprehensive insurance that transfers personal risks to an insurance company. Agents can help craft an insurance policy for riders at an appropriate premium. They’ll ask how often the vehicle is used, for what purposes and on what types of terrain. Occasional riders driving on flat terrain or those using the vehicle for work purposes may only need basic liability insurance. Others who ride hard on unfamiliar off-road terrain may require broader insurance protection customized to their particular needs.

2. What are the different types of ATV Insurance coverages?

Liability coverage addresses bodily injury and property damages to others if the policyholder is found to be at fault in an accident.

Collision insurance generally covers damage to the ATV if the owner hits another vehicle or another vehicle collides with the owner’s ATV.

Comprehensive coverage pays for damages to the ATV not caused by a collision, such as those from vandalism and falling objects. Losses due to fire, floods, other natural disasters, and theft are also absorbed.

Uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance to protect owners from the possibility of other drivers lacking liability insurance, or not having enough insurance, or funds to pay for the owner’s and his or her passengers’ injuries and damages. Other typical coverages include medical payments that may absorb the resulting cost from a covered accident, regardless of fault.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) endorsements ensuring that damaged vehicles are repaired with new parts from the OEM.

An insurance agent can assist ATV owners with these complex decisions while pointing out possible ways to reduce the insurance premium. For instance, some insurers, including Nationwide, offer ATV insurance discounts on its policies. Even the world’s best ATV riders know accidents happen. By having one's net wealth protected with superior insurance coverage from Nationwide, riders can relax and enjoy the pleasures of off-road adventures.

3. Why do I need ATV insurance?

If you’re operating an ATV on state land, or off your property in general, your homeowners insurance likely won’t cover it. With an ATV insurance policy, you won’t miss out on off-road adventure. We’ll make sure you have the proper coverage regardless of how it’s used – transporting feed and water on the farm or adventuring in the wild.

ATV insurance protects you in the event of an accident or other causes of damage. It also covers bodily injury and damage to others’ property, if you are at fault in an accident. It can pay for legal expenses, as well as other people’s medical costs and lost wages. And remember, most states require liability coverage for your ATV.

4. What does ATV insurance Cover?

ATV insurance coverage can help protect you in the event of an accident or other type of damage. An ATV insurance policy typically consists of liability, collision and comprehensive coverage options, as well as add-on coverages such as uninsured/underinsured ATV coverage. Like other types of powersports insurance, the amount of coverage you have depends on the policy limits you select.

Bodily injury liability: If you cause an accident and someone is injured, this coverage can help pay their medical bills and loss of income. Check your state laws to see if it’s required for your situation.

Property damage liability: Assists in payments for damages to another person’s vehicle or property, if you cause an accident.

Collision: Collision pays for damage to your ATV if you hit another vehicle or object, another vehicle hits you, or your vehicle rolls over. It also includes up to $2,000 for safety apparel. Collision coverage may be required if you lease or finance your ATV.

Comprehensive: This coverage can help pay for damage to your ATV from vandalism, theft, weather events and accidents. It also protects custom ATV parts and equipment.

Uninsured motorist: Helps protect you and your ATV from uninsured drivers and may also protect you from covered hit-and-run accidents. Each state has its own uninsured motorist laws.

Underinsured motorist: Helps protect you from drivers who do not have enough insurance to cover the costs of an accident.

Medical payments: Also known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP), med pay can help cover medical costs related to an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.

OEM endorsement: This coverage helps ensure that your ATV is repaired with new parts from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), whenever available. If an OEM part is not available, we’ll issue payment based on the fair market value of the new OEM part. Available for vehicles less than 10 years old.


Disclaimer: The analysis of coverage is in general terms and is superseded in all respects by the Insuring Agreements, Endorsements, Exclusions, Terms and Conditions of the Policy. Some of the coverage mentioned in this material may not be applicable in all states or may have to be modified to conform to applicable state law. Some coverages may have been eliminated or modified since the publishing of this material. Please check with your local Independent Town & Country Insurance Agent for details.

© 2021 TCINS. All rights reserved.