Home Inventory Checklist
Look around your home—you probably have more possessions than you realize! There are items you probably would not even think about if you were asked to list all your possessions. What would happen to that stuff if a disaster struck or your house was broken into? Your home or renters insurance could cover it. However, one simple item could make the process of replacing your items much easier—a home inventory checklist.
There are many reasons to create a home inventory checklist. As mentioned above, it can help identify items lost or damaged in a disaster or theft. It can also help you figure out how much insurance you need to buy when you are shopping for insurance. If you experience a claim, an inventory checklist will help your insurance company settle your claim faster and can also help verify any losses for your tax return. So, what are you waiting for?
Here are some tips to help you get started with your home inventory checklist:
- Start now
- Don’t stress—any information helps
- List items found in each room and don’t forget to check your drawers and closets
- Include the model, serial number, and brand of each item
- Check your garage, patio, and deck
- Videos or photographs of items can be helpful—especially for high-value articles
- Document items that typically travel with you (phone, purse, jewelry, tablet)
- Remember to update your inventory when you purchase new items and review the list at least annually
- Save your checklist in a secure and accessible location, such as an off-site safe deposit box or electronically
Town & Country Insurance has created a home inventory worksheet that you can fill out. There are also apps available that can help you keep track of your property digitally. Whether you choose to create a paper or digital list, it is important to take action now. You may be surprised with what you have. Check out Town & Country Insurance's home inventory worksheet and get a home or renters insurance quote with Town & Country Insurance today!
Does My Homeowners Insurance Cover Working From Home?
Insuring Your Valuables
Underground Service Line Coverage
Disclaimer: The analysis of coverage is in general terms and is superseded in all respects by the Insuring Agreements, Endorsements, Exclusions, Terms and Conditions of the Policy. Some of the coverage mentioned in this material may not be applicable in all states or may have to be modified to conform to applicable state law. Some coverages may have been eliminated or modified since the publishing of this material. Please check with your local Independent Town & Country Insurance Agent for details.